I have been thinking of getting a Stackshot to aid my macro photography for a very long time, particularly when I am shooting at extreme magnifications. The cost has been putting me off for quite a while but I have managed to get one at a very good price. Hence I took the plunge.
My indoor flower photography requires me to take multiple shots of a flower and stack them together to produce the final image. So for each flower, typically I have to do this 5 times – once for each of the different filters I use (UV, IDS1, IDS2e, UV/IR cut for visible and for UV-induced visible fluorescence). With the stackshot, now I can make this fairly automated so the end result of each stack is the same.
So far, I have used the Auto-step mode which allows me to set the start and stop points of focus and how many steps to photograph. There appear to be 7 different modes for controlling how the Stackshot functions to achieve the desired number of images for stacking.