Soul nebula – reprocessed with Pixinsight

Having spent a fair bit of time perfecting my workflow for narrowband images using Pixinsight, I think I’ve pretty much found the sequence that work for my system. Hence I have reprocessed the many narrowband subs of the Soul nebula, to produce the images below.

Images were captured using the ZWO ASI178MM-cool imager, Samyang 135mm F2.0 lens @ F2.0, mounted on iOptron ZEQ25GT, using Astronomik 12nm H-alpha, O-III and S-II filters and captured with Nebulosity 4, then calibrated, stacked and processed in Pixinsight. I used DrizzleIntegration to double the pixel count as the images are undersampled.

H-alpha – 40 x 3 min subs @ Gain 200, O-III – 30 x 3 min subs @ Gain 200, S-II – 30 x 3 min subs@ Gain 200.

Here is the Red (H-alpha), Green (O-III) and Blue (S-II) image.

Soul nebula - H-alpha, O-III, S-II image
Soul nebula – H-alpha, O-III, S-II image

And 100% crops of the image.

100% crop
100% crop
100% crop
100% crop

Now for the Hubble palette (S-II, H-alpha, O-III) image.

Soul nebula - Hubble palette
Soul nebula – Hubble palette

And the 100% crop images.

100% crop
100% crop
100% crop
100% crop

I am very pleased with how the images have turned out. I do feel that I understand the various steps of the processing better. I would be able to do this faster, but for the limitations of my computer processor speed.

(Added 1/6/16 19:00Hrs – for comparison, I’ve added the image previously processed with StarTools.)

Soul nebula - RGB stack of H-alpha, O-III & S-II
Soul nebula – RGB stack of H-alpha, O-III & S-II

Boon