Seagull nebula revisited – Pixinsight processing

Now that I’ve had the opportunity to do LRGB processing with Pixinsight, I have finally found enough courage to delve into narrowband processing with Pixinsight. Again there is much to learn in this new processing sequence, but as I’ve become fairly familiar with some of these processes, it is not as difficult as I imagined it would be.

These were images taken with Samyang 135mm F2.0 lens and ZWO ASI178MM-cooled imager, using Gain 200, 3 minute subs, with Astronomik 12nm narrowband H-alpha, S-II and O-III filters.

First is the image processed with StarTools, which I had posted previously.

Seagull nebula - RGB stack of H-alpha, O-III & S-II
Seagull nebula – RGB stack of H-alpha, O-III & S-II
Crop into head
Crop into head

Now the images processed with Pixinsight. I did use DrizzleIntegration to produce even larger images. I do feel that this has allowed me to gain better resolution of the details in these images. I’ve used different colour combinations for the images below.

Red = H-alpha, Green = O-III, Blue = S-II image

H-alpha, O-III,S-II
H-alpha, O-III,S-II
Crop into the head - Ha/OIII/SII
100% Crop into the head – Ha/OIII/SII
Crop into the wing Ha/OIII/SII
100% Crop into the wing Ha/OIII/SII

Next is the Hubble palette, Red = S-II, Green = H-alpha, Blue = O-III.

Hubble palette (SII/Ha/OIII)
Hubble palette (SII/Ha/OIII)
Crop into the head - Hubble palette
100% Crop into the head – Hubble palette
Crop intothe  wing - Hubble palette
100% Crop into the wing – Hubble palette

Next is the Modified Hubble palette, created using PixelMaths. Red = 0.5 x S-II + 0.5 x H-alpha, Green = 0.15 x H-alpha + 0.85 x O-III, Blue = O-III

Modified Hubble palette
Modified Hubble palette
Crop into the head - Modified Hubble palette
100% Crop into the head – Modified Hubble palette
Crop into the wing - Modified Hubble palette
100% Crop into the wing – Modified Hubble palette

I am still pleased with the image I managed to get when processing with StarTools. But personally I feel that I’ve recovered more detail using Pixinsight and the colours look better, especially the Hubble palette image, which I just could not get to work with StarTools. I still have alot to learn on processing of narrowband images with Pixinsight, as I do want to improve further on my images.

I have to say that I am impressed with the data that I’ve managed to capture with the above equipment, which just goes to show that technology has moved ahead so much that it is amazing what can be achieved in astroimaging.

Boon