Pokemon Go has come out in the UK for about a week now. We have been playing this in our family during the whole week.I thought I would reflect on the experience we have had playing this time – the good and the dangers. I am also adding in the Pokemon that I’ve managed to capture in the wild, significant ones I’ve evolved and the ones that have hatched from eggs.What is great about this game?
- It is very fun and addictive. Once you’ve started catching Pokemon, you just want to keep finding new ones.
- It has a few different goals that people can aspire to – finding as many new Pokemon as possible, get as many Medals for achievements as possible, or battling at Gyms to gain experience and Poke coins.
- The game play has worked much better, presumably with better servers in place to cope with all the people playing it.
- It has made us go out to different parks and walk more, rather than cooped up at home. In fact, my daughters keep asking to go out, so we enjoy time together as a family. We also have seen other families roaming around Oxford, father with son and daughter with mother, or an entire family. So it definitely promotes family interaction and outdoor activities.
- We have learnt alot about the surroundings, as these can be labelled as Poke Stops where you can stock up on supplies, and some of these have gone unnoticed until now.
The Dangers I’ve noted:
- While we were at Bury Knowles Park, we were approached by two boys who were out by themselves there playing Pokemon. They spoke to me even though I was a stranger to them – hopefully because I had two lovely daughters playing Pokemon Go with me. But this poses a danger for those children who are unaccompanied by adults, as these strangers may have ulterior motives and using Pokemon Go as a way in. This is precisely why I would not let my daughters go out to catch Pokemon without either me or my wife going with them.
- One of the boys we met there said that he had already spent alot of his pocket money on the game, which is not necessary. And he did not have much to show for it either. So parents should be alert to this and keep an eye on their children so they do not waste their money unnecessarily.
Having said all these, I will post pics of the significant Pokemon I’ve caught so far.
Pokemon hatched from eggs:
Pokemon which were evolved:
Pokemon caught in the wild:
It is always exciting to find new Pokemon. What a great game. It was about time that it did come out.