Previously I had taken a few images of M106 and the Hercules cluster, but not had a chance to work on them. As part of the trial of Pixinsight, I decided to dig these out to work on while I learnt about the software. After working on them for a few days, trying out the various tools in Pixinsight, I have finally arrived at my final images.
What the process has taught me is that I have probably reached the limits of my imaging equipment (Olympus E-PL5 ISO 3200 8 min subs for M106 and 30 sec subs for the Hercules cluster, using Astrotech 8″ Ritchey-Chretien telescope) in terms of light grabbing capability. I can’t wait to be able to start imaging with my new telescope the Orion Optics VX12 12″ F4 Newtonian, as that will grab twice as much light as my 8″ scope, which should allow me to grab more light and shoot 4 minute subs at lower ISO such as 1600 to reduce the background noise.