Having reprocessed quite a few different DSOs with Pixinsight, this time round it is the turn of the Flaming Star Nebula (IC405) and its neighbour IC410 with its open star cluster NGC1893, both in the constellation Auriga. These were captured between 14/3/16 and 25/3/16 over many nights, as I only started imaging it when my other target became too low to image.
In total I worked with 17 x 3 min O-III, 16 x 3 min H-alpha (after discarding 5 subs), and 21 x S-II subs. All processing done with Pixinsight and then I used DrizzleIntegration to quadruple the number of pixels in the final image as it is definitely undersampled.
Now the first image was posted before and processed with StarTools. I was pretty happy with that result although I did feel at that time that there was more to the data then what I had managed to bring out with StarTools.
Hence the images below were produced after processing with Pixinsight. First image is in HOS palette (Red = H-alpha, Green = O-III, Blue = S-II), and hence is red predominant. As you can see, I have managed to extract a fair bit more, particularly of IC410 compared to the result I had with StarTools.
This is the image processed in Hubble Palette (Red = S-II, Green =H-alpha, Blue = O-III), with the resultant green colour removed using the SCNR process icon in Pixinsight.
Do bear in mind that the target was fairly low down in the sky when I was imaging it, and hence not ideal for capturing the most detail. But this will certainly be one of the targets that I return to image when it is higher up in the sky.
There was a difference between how I processed the HOS and Hubble image – for the HOS image I used the StarMask for the deringing mask in Deconvolution, whereas I used the RangeSelection tool for producing the deringing mask in Deconvolution. I much prefer the deconvolution result of the Hubble Palette, and hence will be changing my processing workflow in future to use the RangeSelection tool instead. I’ve also found that TGVDenoise is my favourite tool for noise reduction.