Now many years ago, I had bought the Logitech G27 steering wheel to use with the Sony Playstation 3. While it worked reasonably well, it was let down by the slow response and refresh rate of the TV which made the games not very enjoyable, and at times did induce motion-sickness. With the processing power of the Sony PS4 paired with the LG OLED TV with its short lag time and high refresh rate (which we now have), we should be able to get the most out of the driving games. But as my Logitech G27 does not work natively with the PS4, and I did not wish to spend a big sum of money buying another steering wheel, I had to look for a solution. I was exctied to find that the Cronusmax Plus which retails on Amazon.co.uk for £49.99, would be able to do this. I also had to buy the Targus 4-port USB Hub £7.84 which will be needed to make this setup work.
Now the first thing to say is that in order for the Cronusmax plus to work with the Logitech G27 steering wheel, certain steps need to be followed. Fortunately Cronusmax provide the instructions for connecting the racing wheels to PS4 on their website.
Link here: Racing wheel to PS4
The Cronusmax plus comes with the necessary items for connecting the PS4 to the steering wheel, except for the USB Hub which needs to be bought separately. I only required the Mini USB cable to connect it to my PC – for adjusting the option settings for the Cronusmax plus and to update the firmware. You will need to download the Cronus Pro from their website in order to do this. I did not need to use any of the other enclosed items.
The USB hub I bought was the Targus 4-port as this item seemed to crop up with the Cronusmax plus on Amazon.co.uk. I can confirm that it does work. But the 4 ports are not labelled on the actual hub, and this is important as the instructions requires that the steering wheel be connected to either Port 1 or 2, and the Dualshock 4 controller to either Port 4 or 3. Of note, the port furthest away from the hub’s USB cable is port 1, whereas the closest port is 4. This information I unfortunately could not find online, so hopefully this will be helpful to those who have bought this hub for this purpose.
Now the main steps needed to ensure the Cronusmax plus works with the steering wheel on PS4 are:
- Ensure the Dualshock 4 controller is unpaired from the PS4, and is connected to the Cronusmax plus through port 4 or 3 of the hub with a Micro USB cable. Mine is connected to port 3 (see photo below).
- The PS4 must be switched on through the power button on the console.
- Cronusmax plus has been updated to the latest firmware and settings as per the setup page on their website.
- Logitech G27 steering wheel is connected to the USB hub’s port 1.
With the above all done, now my Logitech G27 can be used with the Sony PS4 for racing games.
And below is the Dirt 4 racing game where I have been driving at the academy for over 20 minutes without the steering wheel disconnecting – Great!
So for the price of less than 1/4 of the Logitech G29 steering wheel which works with PS4, the Cronusmax plus has made the G27 work on PS4 by making the console think it is a G29. Racing games are definitely more fun and more realistic to play with a steering wheel, and the Cronusmax plus allows older wheels to become compatible with the newer consoles such as PS4.
What I like about the Cronusmax plus?
- It works very well with my Logitech G27 steering wheel and Sony PS4 slim, saving me the need to reinvest in another steering wheel.
- The setup instructions from Cronusmax on their website is very clear to understand and follow. And it worked for me.
- The website even provide information of the button layout of the Logitech G27 which is very useful – for example, I did not know which combination was the playstation button in order to exit the game as the steering wheel does not have a dedicated playstation button.
What could be improved?
- The construction is a little flimsy, as I accidentally caught my lef on the USB cable connected to the hub and Cronusmax plus, and the USB plug on the Cronusmax came out of its casing a little – so now I have to use duck tape to strengthen and straighten it.
- The Dualshock 4 controller connected to the USB hub cannot be used to control the PS4 as it is disabled.
The Cronusmax plus does what it is advertised to do, which is give new life to the Logitech G27 (or G25) steering wheel so it can be used on the Sony Playstation 4. It is not cheap, but certainly costs less than the price of buying new hardware. The plastic casing is fairly flimsy and will not take much abuse, so do take care not to catch on the trailing cables. At the end of the day, if you require a device to allow the Logitech G27 steering wheel to be used on the PS4, it is recommended simply because it does work.