It is great that the CP1200 has many different ways to connect to your camera/smartphone – wireless through Wi-Fi network, direct wireless connection to device, through mini USB port, through a camera-to-USB cable, and also through its SD card slot. Canon have done away with the Compact Flash and other memory card slots which were present in the older model, but this does not affect me as my cameras all used the SD card. And as it is also Airprint-compatible, it will mean easy connection with the Apple devices (iPhone and iPad).
Canon Print App:
It is great that Canon also provide a useful app for connecting with the printer. This is free to download from the App Store.
Once downloaded, you simply switch the printer on and connect to it wirelessly. I chose to use direct connection as it would mean I can use the printer anywhere away from home.
Once connected, it is possible to start printing photos directly from the iPhone.
As I had a bag for the previous printer, it was great that the CP1200 fits in there perfectly as well, which means I do not need to spend any more to kit it up.
What I like about the CP1200?
- Great connectivity with wireless and Apple Airprint printing, as well as USB connectivity to cameras/computers, and SD card slot.
- It uses the same accessories and consumables as previous models, which means less wastage.
- Nicer screen than previous model, larger and higher resolution.
- Ability to use with rechargeable battery (same as previous model) for print on the go.
- 100 years print life when photos stored in an album.
- Has image optimisation capability (same as previous model).
What could be improved?
- Although the screen is better than the previous model, it is still not good enough to aid in deciding which photos are worthy to be printed, as the photos all look unsharpened.
- As mentioned before there is only an SD card slot, so to use other types of media cards you would need a USB card reader.
The Canon CP1200 definitely has many new features which make it a worthwhile photo printer to buy. If it were not for the previous model suffering a malfunction, I would not have bought a replacement. But the cost of buying this is definitely offset by the many more features this printer offers. The fact Canon has not tinkered with the consumables and accessories, so they can be used with the other models, means that this is an easy upgrade for those who already use the Canon Selphy CP800 or later photo printers, as you would still be able to use the consumables/accessories. Highly recommended.
Back to Page 1